Infectious Diseases, 4e.pdf
Drs. Cohen, Powderly and Opal, three of the most-respected names in infectious disease medicine, lead a diverse team of international contributors to bring you the latest knowledge and best practices. Extensively updated, the fourth edition includes brand-new information on advances in diagnosis of infection; Hepatitis C; managing resistant bacterial infections; and many other timely topics. An abundance of photographs and illustrations; a practical, clinically-focused style; highly-templated organization; and robust interactive content combine to make this clinician-friendly resource the fastest and best place to find all of the authoritative, current information you need.
- Hundreds of full-color photographs and figures provide unparalleled visual guidance.
- Consistent chapter organization and colorful page layouts make for quick searches.
- Clinically-focused guidance from "Practice Points" demonstrates how to diagnose and treat complicated problems encountered in practice.
- The "Syndromes by Body System", "HIV and AIDS", and "International Medicine" sections are designed to reflect how practicing specialists think when faced with a patient.
- Over 100 Self-Assessment test questions online help study for certification and recertification.
- Sweeping updates include new or revised chapters on:
- Hepatitis C and antivirals
- Fungal infection and newer antifungals
- Microbiome and infectious diseases as well as advances in diagnosis of infection; Clostridium difficile epidemiology; infection control in the ICU setting; Chlamydia trachomatis infection; acquired syndromes associated with autoantibodies to cytokines;; management of multidrug resistant pathogens; probiotics, polymyxins, and the pathway to developing new antibiotics
- HIV including HIV and aging, antiretroviral therapy in developing countries, and cure for HIV.
- Online Antimicrobial pharmacokinetics mannequin, as well an all new HIV medicine mannequin are a useful visual source of treatment information
Advance clinically with practical, innovative, highly visual guidance that allows you to effectively treat and manage all your patients' diseases.
"This is an outstanding book that covers both common and uncommon topics in infectious disease. I found information on infections that I have never encountered in 30 years of practice. It will be helpful to infectious disease specialists as well as nonspecialists around the world in terms of diagnosis, treatment, and epidemiology of unusual as well as common problems. Excellent glossy photos and tables/figures are informative at a quick glance even without reading the text. Now in its third edition, this book has clearly stood the test of time." - Joseph R. Lentino, MD, PhD(Loyola University Stritch School of Medicine), Excerpts from Doody's review service, Rating - 4 Stars!
"The third edition of this book was published in 2012, some 5 years after the 2nd edition. During those 5 years there have been many developments...It was evident the information in the book needed updating, hence the 3rd edition and its 2000 pages...The three editors have managed to get together just under 400 contributors from all over the world to update and expand the previous edition. They have really done an excellent job, enhanced by the way the book is presented."