Beginning Puppet teaches Linux, Unix and even Windows system admins like you how to learn, use and deploy the new Puppet 3.0 in your environment. Puppet is the fastest growing and most powerful configuration management system on the planet.
This book will summarize what you need to know at a top level, then dive right into learn-by-example Puppet coding. We'll examine real world deployment scenarios and best practices, and get to use newer Puppet features such as Hiera and puppetdb.
- You'll learning about using Puppet with developer tools like Git and other external resources
- You'll see examples of Puppet usage for Linux, Unix, and even Windows
- You'll see real-world examples that you can put to work right away
What is configuration management, and how can Puppet help?
Part I: Puppet language, tools, and best practices
2. Puppet Language Introduction
3. A Deeper Look at Puppet Language
4. Defined Types, Classes, and Modules
5. Facts, Templates, and Hiera
Part 2: How to Architect Your Puppet Code Base
6. The Brick and Mortar Approach to Puppet
7. Writing Good Brick Modules
8. Writing Good Mortar Modules
Part 3: Making Puppet Part of your Infrastructure
9. Puppet Infrastructure
10. Puppet Server
11. Ancillary Puppet Infrastructure